modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Monday, September 21, 2015 @ 6:34 pm
All The Light We Cannot See

Dear Blogger,

I've finally finished reading All The Light We Cannot See! It took about two months, but not because it was a hard read. I just didn't have the time nor energy to have a decent sit down moment with a book! Oh you know how it is.

This Pulitzer Prize-winning book from Anthony Doerr is bound to be in the movie theatres in the near future. In fact, I think some Hollywood producers have already begun to turn it into a script right? Well, even if it hasn't, the story has war-time Oscar-nominated movie written all over it.

How could it not be? It has drama. It has a visually disabled heroin. It has an epic war backdrop. It has Nazis. It has mystery in the shape of a mythical diamond. And it has romance, even if it's just fleeting.

This novel is written in time jumping fashion, which I usually hate because it can get confusing after awhile. But somehow, I didn't notice the time changes, because the novel is such a page-turner! If I hadn't been so busy being a single parent, part-time student and preschool teacher, I would have finished reading this book in less than a week!

It's a dual story featuring Marie-Laure, a young blind French girl, and Werner, a brilliant German orphan boy, who were caught up in the unexplainable craziness of World War II. When the Germans began to occupy Paris, Marie-Laure and her master locksmith father escaped to Saint-Malo, where the latter has a war veteran hermit of an uncle living there. At the same time, Werner was discovered to be a tech genius and was sent to an elite Nazi military school.

When I first read the blurb, I thought, "Wow! It's a love story between Marie-Laure and Werner." I'm not wrong there. It's just that it took a really long time for these two paths to cross. Almost to the end of the book in fact. Halfway through the novel, my brain kept asking when is these two going to meet???

And when they finally met, boy was it explosive. Not the Ryan Gosling-Rachel McAdams-The Notebook-kiss explosive. But the I-shot-the-bad-guy-and-saved-you explosive. Nothing sexual happened. No kiss even! The only sense of romance is when their fingers touched trying to get the peaches in the can. And it's over the next day.

I wished there was more of Marie-Laure and Werner together but I guess Doerr has his intentions. I'm not going to spoil the end for those who haven't read the novel. All I can say is, it's a poignant ending. Just like any classic epic war story.



Must read! Hope it becomes a movie soon.


Sincerely,
modgurl.

Labels: ,


back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS