modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Sunday, May 31, 2015 @ 9:43 pm
The Fault In Our Stars

Dear Blogger,

The weather is awfully hot isn't it? Outside of my workplace, which can be freezing cold, I'm usually drenched in perspiration. I'll try to get home as soon as possible so I could soak myself in the cold shower.

I've managed to finish reading The Fault In Our Stars by John Green today. Yes! I managed to do on the last day of May. So I'm still meeting my target of reading one book a month.

The Fault In Our Stars is a young adult novel, and there was a hit movie adaptation starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. I haven't watched the movie although it has been sitting in my hard disk for the longest time. I was going to borrow the book from the library but since I've Kinokuniya vouchers to spend, I bought the book.

It's about two teenagers who are trying to live their lives the best they can with cancer. It's like a ticking time-bomb. Hazel and Augustus met at a support group and sparks flew. Both think and speak like new age philosophers. I wonder if that's the new American teenage speak. Personally, I think their dialogue is a load of bull. They sounded more like spoiled brats trying to sound smart.

That's not to say it's not a good read. Novels about cancer can either be too saccharine sweet or too depressing. This is neither. It's more like a love story between a sick person and life. Then, there's the antagonist, Van Houten. He's basically a dick who spews a lot gibberish. I think my favourite character is neither Hazel nor Augustus. It's Isaac, the over-dramatic fellow cancer-survivor gone blind.





Overall, it's a leisurely read to do by the pool or beach.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

Labels: ,


back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS