modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 @ 10:32 pm
Foxglove Summer

Dear Blogger,

I have just finished reading a book. Yes! It took slightly over a month but yes, I finished it. The book was "Foxglove Summer" by Ben Aaronovitch. I actually picked it up at the library because it was a new book. Didn't really know if it would be interesting to read.

It WAS a GOODY read! It's about a young wizard apprentice, Peter Grant, who went to a countryside outside of London to investigate the possibility of supernatural involvement in the case of 2 missing girls. Not only was Grant a junior wizard, he's also a junior police constable. Apparently, he's in a "special" unit of Britain's police force.

Considering that I've not actually read a book in a while, the first half was a pretty slow read. I had a challenging time visualising the characters and scenes. After the first half, the story got pretty fast and exciting. I still had some difficulty with the visuals and the terminologies of Britain's landscapes, but, it was a can't-put-the-book-down reading pace.

I didn't realise that this book was the fifth in a series ("Rivers of London") until I read the reviews, after I finished reading the book of course. I usually Google the story to get a clearer understanding of what I just read or watched. Most of the reviews mentioned that this was probably the weakest book in the series. So you can imagine how excited I am to get my hands on the other books in the series. Also, since I've OCD (unconfirmed), I just have to start reading the book in series order, starting with "Rivers of London" ("Midnight Riot" in US print). I hope I can get the UK print though.





Sincerely,
modgurl.

Labels: ,


back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS