modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 @ 9:06 pm
Goodbye 2013 Hello 2014

Dear Blogger,

It's the last day of 2013. I'm rushing to write the last blog entry of 2013. I know I haven't been blogging a lot, in the last few years. So my goal for next year (refused to use the word "resolution"!) is to blog at least twice a week. Hopefully by then, Blogger will come up with a blogging app in iOS.

I have to say that 2013 hasn't been my favourite year. I could remember more unpleasant events than good ones. In the country, there were so many changes socially, politically and physically that it's giving me metathesiophobia. What's that you ask? Metathesiophobia is the fear of change.

Socially, more and more people have become cam whores when they posted their selfies. Yes, selfie is now a legitimate word in the dictionary. Not only that. It's this need for fame and glory that people have become selfish in their pursuits. There could be an incident that warrants help but what do Singaporeans do? They whip out their smartphones (we don't call it handphones anymore... sigh) and record every nasty detail about the incident.

Politically, PAP has lost some major seats in several by-elections. Overall, it's still the dominant political party but when once the parliament house was all-white, it's now peppered with clowns.

Physically, now this is what I hate most about 2014. The opening of the Marine Coastal Expressway (MCE). When news first released that the MCE was being built, we all though, or at least I thought, it was going to be another optional route to the west of Singapore. But when it was later revealed that it was going to replace the East Coast Parkway Expressway (ECP) to get to Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE), I was appalled.

What?! No more views of the sea and Singapore skyline?! We have to drive in a tunnel that's undersea with no view to get to the other side??? It's like a part of me had been ripped off.

The MCE officially opened on Sunday but the impact was felt yesterday. Mostly negative. The MCE was badly designed and executed! I don't think the engineers who designed this expressway actually drove because if they did, they wouldn't have designed the exits with just 2 lanes!

I wonder if this is the result of the gifted and scholar programme in our education system. Singapore is famous for being book smart, but really stupid in real-life application. If the whole country has a blackout, nobody would know what to do and we'd just wait for somebody to save us. That's how stupid we are.

On a personal level, I gave birth (again!). I also enrolled in UniSIM, taking a long course in Early Childhood Education. Still thinking if I'll be in this industry for long though, because it's a tough underpaid vocation. My husband has gone back to the field after several years grounded in the office.

Anyway, let's welcome the new year with hope for peace and goodness. 2014, I welcome you with open arms!


Sincerely,
modgurl.

Labels: ,


back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS