modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Dear Blogger,

I think the whole world (via Twitter and Facebook) knows by now that I've finally bought the Macbook Pro. For a Mac virgin, this is quite exciting. Confusing at times, exciting nevertheless.

On the first day, I had to make conscious efforts to remember that I was not using Windows anymore. Thankfully, there are websites that help Mac noobs like me. There was even a website on how to let go of Windows for Mac converters!

Mac users are just like Christian missionaries aren't they? They won't stop proselitysing about the wonders of Mac until the whole world converts to Mac. They should just chill, soak in their coolness and accept that differences are good for the world.

Anyway, my Macbook Pro is definitely cool. I won't gush about it. Seeing and feeling it speaks volumes of its coolness. Of course, in Windows-dominated Singapore, I have to accept that I can't do certain things like Windows user can. This is vice versa.

Enough about Mac. Let's talk about ice cream. I've been in an ice cream-making frenzy ever since my father-in-law brought back some strawberries from Cameron Highlands. Knowing that the strawberries would stay untouched forever in the refrigerator, I decided to do something about them before they go rotten.

I remembered my rarely-used Philips ice cream maker, a birthday gift from my sister. The last time I used it was to make double chocolate chip ice cream. That was a year ago. I googled ice cream recipes and I came across James Martin's "Easy Strawberry Ice Cream". Super easy recipe but the ice cream was delish! I like James Martin by the way. He makes doing dessert look so easy on TV. He's not bad-looking too!

The next day, I googled for more ice cream recipes. I came across mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe at allrecipe.com. I always order this flavour ice cream when I go to Swensen's. Since this recipe looked so easy, I was quite excited to try it out.

Strawberry and mint chocolate chip ice cream (the chocolate chip is "gone" because I used shaved chocolate instead)

The mint chocolate chip ice cream needed some refinement, aesthetic-wise. Needed a bit more green colouring. It was yummy though.

Recipes:

Easy Strawberry Ice Cream by James Martin

600g grams strawberry, hulled and sliced
600g double cream (whipping cream)
280g castor sugar (more or less, depending on your tolerance for sweets)

1. Puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender.
2. Pour pureed strawberries into a mixing bowl. Stir in cream and sugar. TIP: Pour in sugar gradually. Then whisk mixture until well-blended. ANOTHER TIP: Do NOT over whisk the cream.
3. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine. It should take about 30min for the mixture to look like soft serve ice cream.
4. Pour into a freezer-proof container, cover the surface with cling film and freeze till hard.

Easy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Darryn Briggs

2 cups 2% milk (optional)
2 cups double cream (whipping cream)
1 cup sugar (more or less, depending on your tolerance for sugar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp peppermint essence (I used 3/4 tsp. Your breath will smell minty afterwards!)
3 drops green colouring (may omit or add more drops to your liking)
1 cup miniature chocolate chips (I used cooking chocolate shavings)

1. In a mixing bowl, stir all ingredients except green colouring (if using) and chocolate chips till sugar is dissolved. Add green colouring to your liking. Whisk the mixture till well-blended. Do NOT overmix!
2. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker. It should take about 30min for the mixture to look like soft serve ice cream.
3. Pour into freezer-proof container, cover surface with cling film and freeze till hard.

For those without an ice cream maker, don't worry! You can still make these ice creams. After whisking the mixture, pour into freezer-proof container and freeze. Every 30min to 1 hr or so, take the container out. Using a butter knife, slice through the edges. Then stir the half-frozen ice cream with a fork. You have to do this several times (about 5 hours at least) until you get the consistency that you want.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS