modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Saturday, May 23, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

Dear Blogger,

The summer heatwave has started, hasn't it? I know Singapore doesn't have seasons but the temperature in the last few weeks has been rising slowly. Today, we were told that the temperature had hit 34 degrees. Oh my!

I know people with air-conditioned homes are working their air-conditioners full-time now. Since I chose to live in an environmentally-friendly home, I can only depend on my fans. Fortunately, the commercial buildings in this town are still quite cool.

In fact, the library here is the best place to escape the heat! The temperature in the library is so comfortably cooling that it's really no surprise that people go there not just to read books.

Yesterday, I watched "Angels & Demons" at the cinema. From the Dan Brown books, "Angels & Demons" was the prequel to "The Da Vinci Code". In the movie though, it's a sequel. I think Hollywood was just trying to make nice to the Catholic community after all the fuss "The Da Vinci Code" had made.



Book comparison wise, I've always preferred "Angels & Demons" to "The Da Vinci Code". I bought both books at the same time many years ago and I read "Angels & Demons" first even though "The Da Vinci Code" was the more popular one.

I think it was the controversy surrounding "The Da Vinci Code" that puts me off the novel. I still don't understand its controversy. It's just a damn novel! If it was meant to be taken seriously, then it should have been a non-fiction!

After the disappointment of "The Da Vinci Code" movie (who can forget that awful hair on Tom Hanks???), I had higher expectations for this sequel. What worked for "Angels & Demons" was that the plot didn't require much brain power. So even if one doesn't care about the history of the Vatican, one can just enjoy the running-against-time-to-save-the-city plot.

Professor Langdon (Tom Hanks) has a better haircut now. His requisite female partner is better looking that Audrey Tatou. Finally and without doubt one of the reasons I went to watch this movie was because Ewan McGregor's in it.

One of the bad things about book to movie adaptations is that the storyline is already known. I didn't have to worry too much about that since I had read the book many, many years ago, I couldn't remember much about the details except that Langdon and Co went around Rome looking for the kidnapped priests and antimatter. Also, I knew that Ewan McGregor's character was going to die in the end even though I didn't want him to.

Now what's next in my movie list? "Night at the Museum 2"? "Terminator Salvation"?

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS