modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Monday, February 09, 2009 @ 12:00 pm

Dear Blogger,

My tummy is starting to feel heavier now. It's really straining my back! My legs hurt too if I stand too long, especially my ankles. It's hard not to remember to take a seat every now and the when I'm engrossed with cooking in the kitchen.

Last Friday, I made Putri Salat and minestrone. I made 2 baking tins of Putri Salat, one to be given away to family members, and the other for Ipy. See how Ipy's was specially made in a heart-shaped tin.



I wasn't too sure if the Putri Salat would come out decent. I don't exactly have a good track record with any desserts with custards. But the 2 tins turned out fine. The pandan custard was sweet but not too sweet, and the glutinous rice was edible enough.



I like minestrone. Traditionally, it isn't cooked with much pasta. It should be more like a soup. But I like to make mine hearty with wholemeal pasta and big chunks of carrots and potatoes. It's a balanced meal on its own!

Then on Saturday, I helped Ipy make roti kirai. He wanted to try making it, but I ended up doing most of it. He cooked the chicken curry though, experimental as it was.

I don't really like making roti kirai because it is very tiring! The preparation may be easy, but the cooking is really exhausting. You have to stand over the stove and pan-fry the roti kirai, followed by the requisite folding. I didn't realise how long I have stood until my legs crumbled over the couch after the final drop of batter was cooked.

I guess my life now revolves around a daily schedule of cooking, laundry and tutoring. Even at this moment, I'm thinking of what to cook for lunch and dinner. For unknown reasons, it just doesn't feel right not to have any decent meal ready when my husband comes home.

Ipy usually eats what I've cooked for him, and he'd understand if I don't feel like cooking anything. Still, it would be nice to come home to a home-cooked meal. I know I felt that way when I came home to have mother's cooking ready for consumption.

I know that there are many women out there who would like to live a day of my life. Sometimes, I too wonder if I should explore my fullest potential back at the workforce. But honestly, I'm not thrilled about working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I'm not looking forward to the office dramas.

So, why should I been hated for having the choices that I have? I've always believed that whatever choice one makes, she has to be responsible for it. With the right attitude, one can always make the best out of it.

I may not be earning tens of thousands of dollars a year, and my current status as a homemaker may be looked down upon by a certain segment of society, I am happy. And that's rewarding enough for me.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS