modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 @ 9:11 pm

Dear Blogger,

Busy, busy, busy. It's good that I'm busy. I won't have the chance to be sucked into my thoughts when I'm busy would I? I like being busy. I like the rush of having my hands full with activities.

Not that there isn't any downside. I can do without the headaches. I am still struggling with the seating layouts. I can't figure out why I have more available seats than I should! The totals just don't tally.

As much as I would like to hole myself up in my comfortable abode, I still need to get out once in awhile. I still have outdoor chores needed to be done.

The impact of the wedding season had escaped me. Till now. When I was out at central this afternoon, everywhere I turned, there was some Malay wedding going on. At first, I thought people were still out Hari Raya-ing, until I realised that today was Sunday and the first Sunday of November. In other words, it's officially wedding season!

It doesn't really bother me that the guests made an effort to dress up for a wedding invitation. Especially the women. It's always the women anyway, although I can't figure out why some women would want to look like a walking "Golden Chance" store.

What bothers me is the fuss they make over a wedding! Sad to say, most of the time, the fuss is not good. I couldn't sit in a bus today without hearing a guest bitching about the wedding she had just gone to. It's either about the food, or about the other guests or it could be as petty as the wedding favours. It's just like secondary school and puberty all over again!

The worst I've heard is about how a guest whined about having to fork out the duit salam (Malay version of ang pows). By the looked of it, I think she barely gave away $10 to the couple. I would even bet that what she stuffed in her mouth cost more than $10.

It's not about the amount of money that bugged me. It was her insincerity in giving it! Since when is the duit salam obligatory? I thought it's supposed to be a gift for the bridal couple. So the meaning of a gift includes sincerity right?

Also, I've heard of stories of duit salam conflicts. Like whom is its rightful bearer? The parents or the bridal couple? It's as simple as who is the major investor of the wedding. Unfortunately, sometimes, this rationale doesn't apply here. Some even resort to emotional blackmail just to get this money!

Also, how much to give? The basic rule, I think, is how much is being catered to you is how much you should give back plus more!

That's why, as much as possible, I prefer to give actual gifts that are of equal value. Most of the time, in the form of gift certificates or vouchers.

Some bridal couple would prefer to receive monetory gifts to cover their wedding expenses. I think this is an unrealistic expectation. How often do we hear that the total amount derived from the duit salam manages to make a profit or at the very least, break even the wedding expenses shouldered by the couple? Very, very few.

If a Chinese wedding can't even break even with their generous ang pows, how could a Malay wedding do so? I cannot even begin telling the scary stories I've heard about all the loans taken up by some bridal couples just to host their big day. Stories worthy of frightening anybody into getting married.


No prizes for guessing who gave me this kangaroo key chain and teddy bear with heart (They flew all the way from Melbourne)


Patterns for the dress that I'll be sewing

Ipy bought me chocolates from Melbourne weeks ago, and it's only now that I've opened it. I was on a strict diet and I still am on a strict diet. I only opened it now because I wanted to reward myself for managing to exercise for at least 30 minutes daily, for a week now. I allowed myself to indulge in just one chocolate.

These were unlike Cadbury chocolates. Firstly, it looked too good to be eaten! The one chocolate that I ate, the one with the strawberry-centred filling, was superb! Not too sweet, not too heavy and not too guilty.

Secondly, the sale proceeds of these chocolate boxes go to the Breast Cancer Foundation in Melbourne! This just made the chocolates even more delicious! I think Ipy knows by now, the kind of gifts I like and the kind of things I like to buy. Anything that would help a worthy cause works for me.


Chocolatier... It's pink packaging won me over and the pink ribbon logo sealed it!


Inside the box, there's a bookmark! The bookmark looks so good!


Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get". In this case, I know what I'm getting!


Voila! Aren't they cute?! The one with the flower is so heartbreakingly adorable to eat!

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS