modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 @ 9:54 pm

Dear Blogger,

I came across some former acquaintances either in person or online recently. The common reaction was of disbelief that I was getting married. At first, that felt funny. After awhile, it got boring and a little annoying. It seemed that they saw me as someone who would never settle down!

I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. If I translated that as being someone who would not settle for anyone lesser, then yes it'll be a compliment. However, if I perceived that as being someone who would and could never meet anyone to love and grow with, then it would be an insult.

The next common reaction was the sudden disappearance of friends I used to hang out with. It is common knowledge that I have more male friends than lady friends, simply because I get along better with men than women.

I can understand and accept that my male friends in general, feel uncomfortable to hang out with me now that I'm attached. But I don't see how that should be a problem if everyone knows everyone.

I think this is all a self-esteem issue. It's about how secure one is with oneself. If you can't be comfortable being in the presence of the opposite sex in a general setting, then that is something you have to address! Unfortunately, most men I know are insecure whether they are aware of it or not.

I hope to invite some friends over this weekend for just a casual dinner. Now that I've my own place, it'd be nice to start a culture where friends can gather and interact and blossom! Business opportunities may come up or a love match may evolve. The possibilities are endless!

While baking Eggplant Parmesan, I caught a Malay forum on TV ("Cukup Tak Cukup") discussing issues related to the recent Government incentives to raise the declining birth rate. Various viewpoints were considered and I liked that. From the young to the experienced. From the singles to the married ones. From the employers to the employees.

My only question was, why was there only one female voice among the panel of four? And that one female voice came from a former beauty queen whose law background is still questionable? I don't have anything against her personally. I just think that there should be one more female voice in that panel!

Will these incentives encourage more Singaporeans to marry and procreate? I noticed that among the younger couples interviewed in the forum, they generally agreed that these incentives will encourage them to start a family. However, among the older and more experienced couples, they were a little cynical about these incentives.

Their common concern was that children and raising a family should be a personal preference, not something that should be done to take advantage of tangible and intangible government-sponsored benefits. And I agree!

I wouldn't want to spend 9 months of maternity, losing my figure and sanity, just to pocket a few thousand dollars of baby bonus. I would want to suffer all those pain simply because I want to experience and enjoy motherhood! Same goes for fatherhood!

I've always said this. Children should never be viewed as an economical entity. They should be above dollars and cents. At the national level, I understood why the government rolled out all these incentives. But at the social and even personal level, the motivation to have children and a family should go beyond these incentives.




Eggplant Parmesan - very easy to make and healthy too!

Health benefits of eggplants:
  • Naturally low in calories
  • No fat
  • Fair source of potassium, iron and protein
  • High fibre
  • Rich in antioxidants (excellent brain and skin food, good for the arteries and reduces cancer risks!)
Recipe for Eggplant Parmesan:

(adjust serving accordingly)
Eggplant, sliced thinly with or without skin (I left the skin on because I like a little crunch)
Egg, lightly beaten
Breadcrumbs
Pasta sauce (Traditional or with mushroom or garlic... up to you!)
Shredded parmesan, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses (reduced fat of course)

Instructions:
Dip the eggplant slices in the egg and breadcrumbs. Bake them in single layers in an oven at 175 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes on each side.

Cover the base of a baking or casserole dish with the pasta sauce. Place the baked eggplant slices in a single layer over the pasta sauce. Sprinkle the cheeses over the eggplant slices. Pour some pasta sauce over this layer and repeat the layering until complete. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

(Thanks to allrecipes.com)

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS