modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 @ 10:19 pm

Dear Blogger,

Today was one of the last few sessions of my dance lessons. I can finally do the headache-inducing turns for rock and roll now. When danced to a fast music, it was actually quite fun!

Images of 1950s America immediately sprang into mind. Hopefully all that twisting and turning burnt some calories in me.

I made cabbage soup for break fast. Cabbage soup is reportedly recommended by doctors for obese patients to lose weight. I don't know if that was true, but I sure made quite a big pot earlier.


Cabbage soup that supposedly burns fat

Makes 15 servings

Ingredients
1 large head cabbage, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
3 onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, diced
10 stalks celery, chopped
1 can (14 oz) beef broth (about 400ml)
*2 cans whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
*2 quarts tomato juice
**1 envelope dry onion soup mix
salt and pepper to taste
water

Variations:
I didn't have all these (*) last night, so I substituted them with:
5 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
** I didn't know what dry onion soup mix was, so I omitted it.
Substitute the vegetables with any other firm vegetables, if desired, except the cabbage. That's why it's called Cabbage Soup (duh!).
May add chili flakes or Tabasco sauce if you like it spicy.

Directions:
Place all the vegetables in a big pot. Add everything else and enough water to cover the vegetables. Simmer till the vegetables are tender.

Great to eat with toasted wholemeal country loaf.

Note: Recipe adapted from Cabbage Fat-Burning Soup recipe from Allrecipes.com, courtesy of Nell Marsh.

I don't think it'll be a fair experiment tonight because I also made banana chocolate chip cake. I had some bananas that were going rotten. So I looked up online for recipes that use them!


Banana chocolate chip cake

The cake looked a little flat because it came out from the oven super moist. Apparently, based on the reviews of this recipe, a double dose of the recipe was required for the cake to turn out looking like a real cake. Still, it was sinfully delicious.

I've had 3 slices of it so far. It will go very well with espresso or cappuccino or even milk. It's also a type of dessert that comforts you in times of cool, rainy weather like tonight. Suddenly, I feel very Nigella... All I need is a silk negligee.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS