modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 @ 8:38 pm

Dear Blogger,

I went to watch "The Incredible Hulk" this morning. By the way, OCBC card holders get discounts at GV cinemas. It has been a awhile since I went to the cinema on my own. Decided to do so today, because life is too short to wait for companionship.



I've always loved watching superheroes movies, especially from Marvel Comics. We've enjoyed screen adaptations of "X-Men" and "Spiderman". The latest release and official start of the summer blockbuster was "Iron Man", which I so totally loved. Who doesn't love Robert Downey Jr???



Now we've got "The Incredible Hulk". When I first saw the trailer, I thought, another Hulk movie? Wasn't it on screen recently? That was Ang Lee's version. It was more drama than summer blockbuster i.e. more talk than non-stop action.

Boy did I get more than I asked for. The action in "The Incredible Hulk" was intense! Everybody knows the plot, so no point retelling it. The movie was quite formulaic too, as like most superheroes movies. But the action... oh man! It was MIND-BLOWING!

Nobody could replace Bill Bixby, the original Bruce Banner from the TV series (yes I still remember the show). Edward Norton did his best though. I'm not saying that because he's one of my favourite actors. I just want to kiss that baby boyish face of his! He stirred my loins in "Red Dragon" several years ago.


The very talented Edward Norton

I've always thought that, unlike X-men, Hulk is too simple a character. Guy got himself radiated with gamma rays and wham! He turns into a green mass of muscle, not unlike a WWE wrestler. It's too primitive! Then again, we all turn into cavemen when we're angry.


Hulk... Smash!

I don't smash things up when I'm angry. But I do unleash other "superpowers" when I'm provoked. I've been told that my rage releases the "Stare of Death" and the ear-splitting "Sound of Silence" that strikes fear at the hearts of men. It sure does that to Ipy.

Anyway, back to the movie. Even if you're not a movie nor a comic buff, you'll shriek in sheer pleasure at spotting several cameos and comic references. Watch out for the intra-Marvel movies crossovers and the indispensable Lou Ferrigno, the original Hulk from the TV series. He, coincidentally, voiced Hulk in this movie, which was not too difficult. All Hulk did was grunt and roar.


Lou Ferrigno and Stan Lee

And not forget the creme de la creme! Tony Stark himself! Aka Iron Man! Aka Robert Downey Jr! That was such a treat!



At tuition, I made a boy cry. He deserved to. He was so rude! After almost 3 years of patience and tolerance, I gave the boy a scolding worthy of any school discipline mistress of yesteryears. I am a fierce person, but I rarely show that side of me to my students. This afternoon however, something just snapped. The boy was not just rude, he was disrespectful and too spoilt!

And afterwards, another student made me wait outside her door for half an hour, because her family had "forgotten" that there was tuition tonight. I even reminded her mother this morning! After all that waiting, she postponed it to this weekend. I was so hoping to not do anything this Sunday.

Some people just have no respect for other people's time and effort. Unfortunately, this slack attitude towards a teacher's time is so prevalent in Malays. I don't get treated like this by my other non-Malay students and families!

What is even more ridiculous is that these people expect their average sons and daughters to excel academically in such a short time! I am not a miracle worker! This is a cooperative effort! I can't do much if your sons and daughters won't do much!

I am still pissed off by it. Today was supposed to be a great day! I can't even vent my frustration on anything. It would be fantastic if I could release it like The Incredible Hulk. Maybe I could turn into She-Hulk or something.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS