modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Monday, March 24, 2008 @ 11:50 pm

Dear Blogger,

After watching a late show of "Be Kind Rewind" at Orchard Cineleisure, I was quite annoyed with Ipy for not being sensitive to my wants. I've already said before the movie started that I was hungry. I held out because I thought it would pass. It didn't.

So yes, I did say I wasn't hungry a few hours ago when he asked me. And I really wasn't! But I was hungry afterwards. It was already past midnight. He looked tired. Do you think I'd want to force him to stay out longer for a midnight snack? Of course not! But still...

I came home to a bare kitchen. I thought I could make a turkey ham sandwich, but I didn't feel like eating any bread. So, I resigned myself on the kitchen floor with my unhealthy stash of Twisties and Cheezels. I expect my face to break out in a few days.


"Be Kind Rewind" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

"Be Kind Rewind" is a quirky film typical of Michel Gondry, the genius behind "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Jack Black played Jerry, who accidentally erased all the videotapes of his best friend Mike's store, played by Mos Def.

How did he do that? Get this: He was magnetised when he tried to sabotage the town's power plant. That itself was hilarious!

The fun part comes when Jerry and Mike tried to save the video rental store by, get this again, remaking classic films in their oddball, amateurish film-maker style! Imagine "Ghostbuster", "Robocop" and even "Rush Hour 2" being remade home-made style. It's a cracker!

"Be Kind Rewind" is a bittersweet homage to the art of film-making. I don't believe Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese started their path to legendary film-maker status with picture-perfect movies. I think a lot of these directors had a taste of film-making through filming via the family video camera. Very much like how Jerry and Mike did it!

The movie shines in its innocence and Mos Def's likable low-key performance, which was matched by Jack Black's gratingly obnoxious ruckus. I would never think that cardboard cut-outs of cars would work in a movie.

More than just a loving tribute to film-making, the movie is also a genuflection of creativity. I think only the creative-inclined would appreciate it. I had to sit for a compulsory "Creative Thinking" module in my first year. I still couldn't reason how anyone could define a grade on creativity.


Ipy and the Kung Fu Panda (see the similarity size-wise?)

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS