modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 @ 11:22 pm

Dear Blogger

I fell in love with this song when I first heard it performed at the Oscars on Monday morning. I've never heard of this 2006 Irish movie where the song came from. Apparently, "Once" was filmed in 17 days with just a budget of slightly over 100,000 euros! Collin Farrell called it "the little movie that could" when presenting it at the Oscars.





"Once" is a movie about an Irish street performer and a Czech immigrant flower seller, struggling musicians both, who found a romantic connection through music. Yet, their romance couldn't be requited due to their circumstances.

The movie starred professional musicians instead of professional actors. Glen Hansard was lead singer of popular Irish rock band, "The Frames". The director, John Carney, was "The Frames" former bassist. He actually wanted to cast Cillian Murphy, the guy from "28 Weeks" for the lead role, but the latter declined.

So, Carney thought, why cast "a good actor who could half sing" when he could cast "a good singer who could half act"? That's another way of looking at the glass half full-half empty cliché.

What was so romantic about this movie so far, (from what I've read that is), the two leads, Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová became a real-life couple! What was even cooler was that Hansard is now 37, and Irglová is only 19! Sort of like Ipy and I, except that we're only a decade apart.

"Falling Slowly" is a simple but moving song about hope. Hope is something that's so dainty. If it's not fed with the proper fuel, it'll crumble into dusts. But I think, hope never leaves us. We just... misplace it in our hearts and minds every now and then.

I believe the song's chords are simple (I don't play musical instruments). Yet, it charges up the emotions. I especially like the chorus.

"Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now
"

and

"Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won
"

Only musicians and poets can write those...

I presumed both the movie and the song are going to make their rounds at the cinemas and radio stations again, now that the song has won the "Best Song" Oscar. It defeated traditional Disney favourites, courtesy of "Enchanted".

I hope they do make their rounds. It'll be such a shame if us, mere mortal movie-goers, do not get to watch this critically-acclaimed independent movie.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS