modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Sunday, January 06, 2008 @ 7:47 pm

Dear Blogger,

One good thing about my weekend job is that I can practise the communication tips from this book I'm currently reading, "How To Talk To Anyone: 92 Little Tricks For Big Success In Relationships" by Leil Lowndes (quite a mouthful isn't it?). Most of the tips work to varying degrees of success. I just need to drill them into my subconsciousness to make them sound less rehearsed.

The first tip I tried was how to say a memorable and more meaningful "Thank you". "Thank yous" have become so common that unsuspectingly, they've become more of a habit rather than something that we actually meant to say. Just like the words "I love you" and "Sorry"!

The first person I practised this on is with Ipy. He didn't realise it of course. Instead of just saying "Thank you", I added why or what I'm thanking him for. For example, "Thank you for your constant concern of my well-being". Did that "thank you" make an impact on him? I'm not sure, but I'm sure it did! Otherwise I wouldn't be his "melody in his music".

One of the questions I hate being asked is, "What do I do?" i.e. "What's my job?". It's as if there's nothing else worth talking about in my life than my job! Since I disliked being asked that, I try not to ask people that. But sometimes, my curiosity gets the better of me.

So now, instead of asking a person, "What do you do?", I ask "How do you spend most of your time?" The recipient now has a choice of how to answer that question. He can choose to talk about his hobbies, his juicy romps or even his work.

I tried it on one of my customers this morning. Besides learning that he was a Singaporean living and working in San Francisco (Sillicon Valley to be exact!), I've found out that he is dating someone there, he likes going to the beach and he used to work for Apple! In fact, when he first started out at Apple, Steve Jobs and company were developing the first generation iPod! How cool was that!

All of that just by asking one question. That was so wicked! Now if only this book can teach me how to communicate with my family and relatives and all the "makciks" (aunties). Ipy does it so naturally. No wonder the elderly ladies are fawning over him. Maybe it's our generation gap. We're almost a decade apart after all.


Crocheted cushion covers with buttons. I made the black one for Ipy's car

I'm taking a break from crocheting. I've had enough of cushion covers, beanies, bags and doilies. Especially doilies! I've made several of them already that my mom doesn't know where to display them!

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS