modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Saturday, January 26, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

Dear Blogger,

It was very busy at work this morning. As soon as one customer's done, I had another customer. I didn't even have time to breathe! It went on like that till about 2 p.m. I was starving, and my bladder was almost full. But at least I was satisfied. We haven't had sales like that for quite a while.

By the time I knocked off at 4 p.m., I could feel the exhaustion all through my body. My brain was worn out. All I wanted to do then was to take a warm shower and snooze in bed, among the comforts of my pillows and soft, furry friends. But I couldn't. I had a make-up tuition afterwards.

While waiting for Ipy at the lobby, there was a group of cosmetic girls on their break, hanging out at the lobby. They were smoking and most likely gossiping away. After a year of departmental retail, I've come to realise that it's just like school. The cosmetic girls are the retail equivalent of the "mean girls".

When Ipy finally arrived, I could feel their eyes on me. But I ignored them. I know Ipy was looking at them. He wouldn't be a man if he didn't. He said those girls gave me top-to-bottom looks when I stepped into the car. Why would they?

He jokingly explained that the girls must have been wondering how this plain Jane geek (that would be yours truly) could have nabbed a handsome "mat" (a Malay man) driving a BMW. I gave him a bewildered look. Ipy can be so full of shit sometimes.

But he's kind of right. At times, I feel that some people fawn over him because of what he has. The ladies in my family especially. You should see how my aunts are falling over themselves for him. It's humourous and pathetic at the same time! It wasn't as if the guy was born with a golden spoon fed into his mouth. He works hard for it in a high-risk job! His status is like a double-edge sword.


Ipy at the Spring Festival in Eunos


Ipy and I at the Spring Festival in Eunos

It's less than 48 hours to my 28th birthday. It's also less then 48 hours to a possible family fiasco for our first major family meeting. I really, really hoped my mom didn't invite the whole clan over on Monday. It would be very awkward for Ipy as well as for me if she did.

We don't have trays of gifts for exchange nor a feast. It's NOT an engagement ceremony! I really don't understand why some people can't understand that! He and his immediate family are just coming over for a chit chat. And of course he's going to present me the long-awaited diamond ring. But that's it! No fuss!

I'm not going to be hidden away. He's not going to be loitering downstairs. We're not going to let our families run the show! We're going to be beside each other the whole time! So you see! It's not an engagement ceremony! What's so difficult to understand that???

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS