modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Wednesday, November 07, 2007 @ 11:06 pm

Dear Blogger,

My students and I played Sahibba this afternoon. Actually, I played Sahibba this afternoon! My students weren't interested in anything Bahasa Melayu at all. It seemed so unfair that I was getting paid lots of money for these kids to acquire a decent grasp of the language if I don't care about their progress at all. So that's why I'm trying to come up with more creative and fun ways to teach them a foreign language such as Bahasa Melayu.


One of my favourite games in the world: Sahibba or Scrabble. I was my school's champion in the primary school category decades ago!

Unfortunately, my efforts in these past few years have been mostly disappointing. I've tried to engage them in charades, pictionary, crossword puzzles and even watching a movie! But their interest in the language is still close to naught. Do I have to resort to the boring assessments books all the time?

But it's heartening to know that the younger of the 2 siblings did very well for his Bahasa Melayu paper in the final year examination, and how he found out how ridiculous "Cicakman" is. At least he watched a Malay movie! I didn't even watch that horribly-titled movie!

His elder sister on the other hand, is really quite a challenge. Her problems, at her age, go beyond learning an unnatural "mother tongue" language. Her only goal in life to die at a young age. We all used to be this melodramatic when we were teenagers, weren't we?

This morning, I was thrilled to have been invited to be a regular volunteer at IMH. But I had to turn it down. The volunteer group only does its visits on Saturdays, and I work on weekends. It would have been quite an experience though if I could volunteer there. I've said before, sometimes, the world is much saner inside an asylum that on the outside.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS