modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Monday, October 15, 2007 @ 12:41 pm

Dear Blogger,

My first Sunday off in months but I still have to wake up before sunrise! All because he wanted to go to the cemetery before it got too hot to bear. So, as a doting soon-to-be-fiancee, I rang him up at the break of dawn and got myself dressed for the day. Of course, him being him, he finally woke up an hour later.

I came over to meet his family. It was the first time, and thus, nerve-wrecking. I may look like a confident person, but when it comes to Malay families, I'm like a fish out of water. It's really hard work to stay conscious of what you're saying and projecting you know!

His family turned out alright. I had expected an ultra-conservative family, which if it really turned out that way, then I'm in deep shit. His dad was pleasant, although I suspected that it was only because he didn't want to scare me away. I mean, how long more can his only son be single right?

My only discomfort was his sisters' chattiness. I come from a family with many boys, so we don't chit chat like girls' do. We either shout at one another's face or it's silent communication. I was quiet most of the time because either I couldn't jump in to contribute to the conversation or my ears have gone tired of listening.


Don't we just look grand?

In the second half of the day, we visited my grandmother and 2 of my aunts. My brother and his girlfriend joined us. It was the first time I've ever met his girlfriend. He was always very elusive about it. I guess this is the year of girlfriends and boyfriends for the family. My mother should be ecstatic!

I guess in a way it was a good idea that we each brought our partners along. It sort of reduced the attention on us, and more on them. Ipy was already an expert at that, so this was one of the few times I didn't mind NOT being in the spotlight.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS