modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Monday, April 10, 2006 @ 11:24 am

Dear Blogger,

I'm in danger of becoming a couch potato. I know I should be revising for the exams but there are so many good shows on telly these days! First, AXN is showing the first season of "House" again on Mondays. At about the same time, Channel 5 is showing "Grey's Anatomy". Both are medical dramas with a difference.

"House" is more medical "CSI". I get wonderfully lost in its investigative work to cure a mysterious illness every week. The lead character, Dr House, is so amusingly bitter and caustic and oh so intelligently sexy. He's a bad boy geek! Not surprising that the show attracts more female than male viewers!

More importantly, he's a Brit. At least, the guy who's playing Dr House is a Brit. I just don't understand why he has to fake an Amercan accent in the show. I thought it'd be so much better if he played it in his naturally accent. The sarcasm would be oh so wickedly funnier that way.

"Grey's Anatomy" is more TV-land drama than medical accuracy. Sandra Oh, who won Best Supporting Actress in the last Golden Globes for this show, is the scene stealer. She's so witty and sarcastic! She's sort of the bitchy version of Chandler from Friends. What is it about sarcasm that makes a character worth watching???

I think it'd be a dream if her character goes head to head with Dr House! I mean, both are egoistical. Both are very driven. And both are incredibly sexy in their own right! I always knew that brains are so much sexier than boobs or booty.

Then, there's the Korean drama, "Jewel in the Palace". It's supposed to be based on a true story but anything meant for TV cannot really be trusted. Even the news! Whatever it is, the intrigues of the Korean palace drama are riveting. The only problem I have with the show is that it always make me crave for Korean food after each night of watching. Where the hell can I get Korean food at 11 p.m. on a weekday night???

I think that's how my life is going to be like in the next few years. Go to school or work, head home, then plant myself in front of the telly till my eyelids can't keep themselves open anymore. Occassionally, I'd have a drink or two, but generally, I think I'd rather stay in. Anti-social behaviour? I don't have much social life to begin with to be anti-social I think.

A few nights ago, a male colleague asked why I'm not married at 26? How do you answer that kind of question without sounding sarcastic or pathetic? I've thought about it and I came up with several possible responses:
  1. I'd rant my feminist views on why a young woman has to be burdened with the issue of marriage,
  2. I'd go L'oreal and confidently claim, "I'm worth it",
  3. I'd go UOB Lady Card and saywith a straight face, "Men just don't get it",
  4. I'd quote Joan Jett, "I've bigger balls than men",
  5. I'd feign short-term memory loss and asked, "Did you ask something?", or
  6. I'd just smile and walk away.
I'm getting good at just smiling and walking away. I've grown tired of always trying to make my point. I read somewhere that silence, if used appropriately, can be a powerful weapon. You know, I'm really a natural introvert. I'm actually a quiet person by nature! I know that's hard to believe but it's really true!

It's not that I'm shy. I guess, I just don't like to waste my time and energy on something that's not worth commenting about. It's no wonder that I feel much more comfortable in the company of men than women. Being with women can be a mind-numbing experience at times. I can tolerate only so much gossips and fashion reviews.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS