modgurl's
blog*spot
posts are personal. open-mindedness is essential.
who am i

Name: modgurl
Location: Singapore

New mom. New woman. Born in Singapore. Raised in the World Wide Web.
Monday, January 30, 2006 @ 10:51 pm

Dear Blogger,

I've been coming home from work exhausted because my little workplace was swarmed by what looked like the entire foreign workers population. It used to be that most of the foreign workers were Thais. Now the Chinese and Indians (by this, I meant the Indians, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans and those alike. I'm going to get a lot of flak for grouping the Indians and Pakistanis altogether) share equal billing.

I used to show a little respect for them because our well-praised infrastructure was built by their hands. Let's face it! A Singapore-born working as a construction worker or coolie is as rare as spotting whales at East Coast. Even most of our domestic duties are done by foreign-born maids! It irritates me to meet anyone who doesn't even know how to wash dishes.

Anyway, the least we could do is not to call them names or suspect them of petty crimes without proof. I get very, very annoyed when people I know call these foreign workers names. It's racist! I don't understain the masses' disdain about these foreign workers. Without these people, us spoilt brats wouldn't even have roofs over our heads!

However, after working over the Chinese New Year holidays, I'm beginning to lose my patience with them. I don't understand why the Indians prefer to stand so close together, to the point that they're masturbating with one another.

As for the Chinese, they are just too dumb to realise that not everybody speaks Mandarin. Same goes for the Chinese tourists. They kept talking to me in Mandarin even though I've told them repeatedly, in English, that I don't fucking understand any fucking Mandarin! I may be blessed with fair skin and inherited some Chinese facial features, but I'm not Chinese!

Just because China has over a billion people and it's now a Big 5 economy, its people shouldn't assume that everyone else must be able to speak Mandarin. Oh the arrogance of it all! Will China be the next America? Will the pao bun outsell the hamburger? The thought itself is frighteningly not preposterous.

Sincerely,
modgurl.

back to top

latest post  ::  newer post  ::  older post
archives

recent posts

LAYOUT BANNER COLORS MINIICONS